We are planning a ride on the Virginia Creeper Trail and camping in May. Here are all the details.
* You are viewing the archive for the ‘Outdoors’ Category
Here is a handout with details on the backpacking trip coming up. If you are going backpacking, be sure to be at the Oct 31 troop meeting or call Mr. S. to confirm.
Our Cycling Merit Badge class is underway now, and with two rides under our belt we’re doing well. A key focus of our class is learning to ride safely in traffic. Bikeboy has a list of Nine Commandments of Bicycle Safety that are great for all of us to follow:
1. ALWAYS RIDE ON THE RIGHT. Go with the flow of traffic, never against it.
2. BE PREDICTABLE. Maintain a straight line, change direction without swerving, and use hand signals when turning.
3. OBEY ALL TRAFFIC LAWS. If you want to be safe in traffic, …
Guys, we’re starting a Cycling Merit Badge Class this month. See the attached flyer for details.
For those signed up to go backpacking this weekend:
- We will leave from Asbury at 9:00 am sharp on Saturday. Eat breakfast first and be ready to go with all your gear packed. Leave room in your pack for a share of the troop equipment and food
- We will return to Asbury approximately 12:30 pm on Sunday.
- Make sure you are prepared! Bring rain gear and appropriate clothing for the weather (layers). If you have any questions, call Mr. Showalter or Mr. Miller before Saturday.
Guys, the skiing/snowboarding trip to Appalachian Ski Mountain is on for Sunday, Feb. 28 and will be led by Mr. Miller. Signups are due by Monday, Feb 22 at the troop meeting. You must call Mr. Miller if you wish to sign up after this date.
- Cost is $38 for skiing or $50 for snowboarding, plus a fuel charge (estimate $4)
- Depart from Asbury parking lot at 6:00am and return approximately 7:30pm
- Bring money for lunch and supper (about $15)
Snowboarders will need wrist guards; no exceptions. More information will be available at the troop meeting.
From Outside Online magazine: How do you identify and treat hypothermia?